Saturday, September 19, 2015

Saturday, September 19, 2015 Whale Watch



12 pm trip - Tammy

Today we had beautiful weather and a fantastic time with two humpback whale pairs. Both pairs were moms and their 2015 calves.

humpback whale mom and calf
  The first pair started out traveling and diving, but eventually became interested in us. Both animals gave us a close approach and seemed to be just content hanging out on our starboard side. Mom and calf both rolled over periodically, giving us great views of their long, powerful pectoral flippers.

mom and calf hanging out next to our boat
As we watched this first mom and calf, we started noticing some splashing in the distance. Once this pair had moved safely away from our boat, we made our way over to check out what caused the splashing. It turned out we had another humpback mom named Jabiru and her calf of this year. Both whales had breached previously, but started engaging in flipper slapping once we arrived.

Jabiru's calf belly up!
This pair also gave us a close approach! The calf swam right under the bow, raising its tail high in the air as it dove under us!

Jabiru's calf diving
Both Jabiru and her calf were so close to the boat that I was able to get a photo of the calf's wide-open eye. So cool! Such amazing encounters offshore today!


Jabiru's calf rolling on its side

Jabiru's calf sneaking a peak at us!

1 comment:

  1. I was on this whale watch and it was incredible. This is my second time on Captain John's boat and I thoroughly enjoyed myself both times. I live in Florida but visit family in Plymouth every year. I will continue to make Captain John's Whale Watching part of my vacation yearly. This trip was ESPECIALLY memorable because my boyfriend asked me to marry him during the watch!!

    ReplyDelete